Announcement for Project Researcher Position (Department of Physics, The University of Tokyo)
Personnel & Job Information 2020/11/30
1. Job Title (Number of Positions)：Project Researcher (2)
2. Term of Employment：April 1, 2021 to March 31, 2022. You can also arrive earlier.
3. Extension：Your employment agreement may be renewed. In the event of renewal, your
employment agreement will be renewed every year, to March 31, 2025.
Renewal of your employment agreement will be determined by the following factors: All relevant factors, such as budget status, progress of the work assigned to you, the amount of the work at the end of the term, your performance, work record, and attitude, and your medical conditions.
4. Probation Period：6 months from the date of arrival.
5. Place of Work：School of Science, The University of Tokyo(7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan)
6. Affiliation：Ando Group, Department of Physics
7. Job Description：
The successful candidate(s) will work on experimental or theoretical research related to our project “Ultralight dark matter search using gravitational wave detectors and laser interferometer experiments,” (PI: Yuta Michimura, Planned Research B01 for JSPS Grant in Aid for Transformative Research Areas (A) “What is dark matter? – Comprehensive study of the huge discovery space in dark matter,” JFY 2020 – JFY 2024, Hitoshi Murayama). The examples of the research include, but are not limited to:
1) Commissioning and upgrade of KAGRA
2) Developing laser interferometers for dark matter search
3) Dark matter data analysis using time series data from laser interferometers.
4) Theoretical works related to dark matter searches
You can also work on your own research based on your own initiative with up to 20% of your research effort if you are under 40 or if you received a Ph. D. within 8 years. You can also apply for KAKENHI grants.
8. Working Hours：
Discretionary labor system for professional work applies and working hours will be deemed as 7 hours 45 minutes per day.
9. Days off：
Saturdays and Sundays, Public holidays of Japan, New Year holidays (December 29 to January 3)
10. Leave：Annual Paid Leave, Special Leave, etc.
JPY 300,000 to 400,000 per month including achievement allowance, based on experience, achievements etc. Commuting allowance also is paid based on the University of Tokyo regulations(basically up to JPY 55,000 per month).
12. Social Insurance：
Eligible for MEXT (Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) Mutual Aid Association membership, employees’ pension, employment insurance and workers’ accident compensation insurance.
Ph. D. or equivalent.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, national origin, research experience etc.
14. Required Documents：
1) Curriculum Vitae (include your email address)
2) List of publications
3) Summary of your past research achievements (2 pages)
4) Research statement (2 pages)
5) Two letters of reference
15. How to Submit the Documents：
Send the above documents as PDF files via email to the following address. The title of the email should be “Application to Dark Matter Project Researcher Position (YOUR NAME)”.As for the reference letter, send it as a PDF file via email directly from the referee. The title of the email should be “Reference for Dark Matter Project Researcher Position (YOUR NAME)”.If you don’t receive the confirmation email within 3 days, please check with the contact person written below.
January 15, 2021
Based on the documents, we will call for an online interview in February for the short list candidates.
Applications will be accepted until the search is closed.
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan
Ando Group, Department of Physics, The University of Tokyo
Contact person: Yuta Michimura
18. Name of Recruiter：The University of Tokyo