Associate Professor at the Institute for Physics of Intelligence
Personnel & Job Information 2020/12/08
1. Title and Numbers: Associate Professor, one position
2. Starting Date: April 1, 2021 or the date of the earliest convenience thereafter
3. Term of Employment: Non fixed-term
4. Probation Period: 6 months from the date of employment
5. Place of Work: Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo (7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo)
6. Affiliation: The Institute for Physics of Intelligence
7. Contents of Work Duties: Candidates are welcomed from all disciplines of physics, whether theoretical or experimental. The successful candidate can preside over his/her own group, and is expected to facilitate research to discover novel physical laws and/or new materials by introducing artificial intelligence techniques with excellent inductive reasoning capabilities into deductive methods of physics. In terms of education, he/she will be in charge of courses and research supervision for undergraduate and graduate students of the Department of Physics. He/she is also expected to be actively involved in managing the Institute for Physics of Intelligence (https://www.phys.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/lp/ipi/).
8. Working Hours: Discretionary work system for professional work applies and working hours will be deemed as 7 hours and 45 minutes per day.
9. Days off: Saturdays, Sundays, Holidays, and the year-end and New Year holidays (December 29 to January 3)
10. Leave: Annual Paid Leave, Special Leave, etc.
11. Wages, etc.: Basic Salary will be decided taking your academic background, professional background, etc. into account. Wage Raise System: Yes
Examples: PhD / from JPY 340,000
Various Allowances: Bonus (twice a year), Commuting Allowance (basically up to JPY 55,000), and other allowances decided by the University
12. Insurance: You will be automatically enrolled in the insurance from the Mutual Aid Association of MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) and Employment Insurance.
13. Qualification Requirements: A Ph.D. is required by the start of employment.
14. Documents to be Submitted:
(1) CV (including applicant’s photograph)
(2) list of achievements (original papers, review articles, invited talks, etc.)
(3) reprints of five selected publications
(4) summary of the part research activities (about 2 page long)
(5) research plan
(6) educational plan (about 2 page long including (5))
(7) names and contact information of three people wo can provide reference letters (It is necessary to have at least one from researchers not in Japan)
15. Submission Method:
Submit a single pdf document (within 10MB) to
Prof. Shinji Tsuneyuki,
Chair of the Department of Physics
senkocho_at_phys.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Replace ‘_at_’ with ‘＠’ )
Indicate “Application for associate professorship at the Institute for Physics of Intelligence in the subject. Please send an inquiry to the above address if you do not get an email for receipt confirmation within a few business days.
16. Application Deadline: Applications must arrive no later than January 31, 2021.
17. Contact: Prof. Yoshiyuki Kabashima
kaba_at_phys.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Replace ‘_at_’ with ‘＠’ )
18. Name of Recruiter: The University of Tokyo
19. The University of Tokyo is committed to gender equality and encourages applications from all qualified candidates without regard to their gender. (https://www.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ja/overview/gender/).