Associate Professor at Department of Physics, The University of Tokyo
Personnel & Job Information 2022/04/12
1. Title and Numbers: Associate Professor, one position
2. Starting Date: December 1, 2022 or the date of the earliest convenience thereafter
3. Term of Employment: Non fixed-term
4. Probation Period: 6 months from the date of employment
5. Place of Work: Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo (7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo)
6. Affiliation: Department of Physics, The University of Tokyo
7. Contents of Work Duties: Experimental AMO physics including cooling and trapping of atoms, molecules, electrons, etc., optomechanics, and hybrid quantum systems.
8. Working Hours: Discretionary work system for professional work applies and working hours will be deemed as 7 hours and 45 minutes per day.
9. Days off: Saturdays, Sundays, Holidays, and the year-end and New Year holidays (December 29 to January 3)
10. Leave: Annual Paid Leave, Special Leave, etc.
11. Wages, etc.:
Basic Salary will be decided taking your academic background, professional background, etc. into account. Wage Raise System: Yes
Examples: PhD / from JPY 340,000
Various Allowances: Bonus (twice a year), Commuting Allowance (basically up to JPY 55,000 per month if the payment conditions are satisfied), and other allowances decided by the University.
12. Insurance: You will be automatically enrolled in the insurance from the Mutual Aid Association of MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) and Employment Insurance.
13. Qualification Requirements: A PhD degree is required by the start of employment.
14. Documents to be Submitted:
(1) CV (including applicant’s photograph)
(2) list of achievements (original papers, review articles, invited talks, etc.)
(3) reprints of five selected publications
(4) summary of the part research activities (about 2 page long)
(5) research plan
(6) educational plan (about 2 page long including (5))
(7) names and contact information of three people who can provide reference letters (It is necessary to have at least one from researchers not in Japan)
15. Submission Method:
Send an email to senkocho_at_phys.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp to let us know that you would like to apply. (Replace _at_ with @.) The subject should be “Application for associate professorship of experimental AMO physics”. We will send back to you with the URL information of the receiving folder for uploading the documents.
Please send an inquiry to the above address if you do not receive the confirmation email within three business days after uploading.
16. Application Deadline:
Applications must arrive no later than June 30, 2022.
17. Contact: Prof. Masahito Ueda
ueda_at_phys.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Replace ‘_at_’ with ‘＠’ )
18. Name of Recruiter: The University of Tokyo
19. The University of Tokyo is committed to gender equality and encourages applications from all qualified candidates without regard to their gender. (https://www.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ja/overview/gender/).
Personal information received through this application process will not be used for any other purposes.
During the period of employment, sharing controlled technology to you may be prohibited by FEFTA and it may become difficult to achieve your job as a faculty or a staff member of the University if you are under the control of a foreign government, corporation or university by contract, or under the control of a foreign government by economic interests. In such a case, you need to keep the contract or interests within the range that does not incur such restrictions.
Requirements are still being confirmed with MEXT, but if approved, we plan to apply for the post of Leading Initiative for Excellent Young Researchers (LEADER).