Project Assistant Professor or Project Researcher Position (Full-time Fixed-term Project Staff) at the Department of Physics, the University of Tokyo
Personnel & Job Information 2023/01/17
1. Title and Numbers
Project Assistant Professor or Project Researcher, one or two positions
2. Terms of Employment
Starting date: The date of the earliest convenience thereafter
The first contract will be ended on March 31, 2024, and will be renewable annually up to March 31, 2028.
3. Renewal of Contract
Annual renewal will be determined based on the budget situation, the progress of the assigned duties, the amount of work at the end of the contract period, attitude, overall work performance, health condition, and other factors.
4. Probation Period
Six months from the starting date of employment
5. Place of Work
Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Department of Physics, The University of Tokyo
7. Job Description
The successful candidate(s) will conduct research in the project “quantum-classical fusion algorithm based on quantum embedding,” JST COI-NEXT program “Center of Innovation for Sustainable Quantum AI” https://sqai.jp/. The successful candidate will collaborate with Prof. Synge Todo, Prof. Tsuyoshi Okubo, Prof. Nobuyuki Yoshioka, and other project members to conduct algorithm development and research related to mutual transformation between quantum circuits and classical tensor/neural networks, and fusion of classical and quantum information.
8. Working Hours
Discretionary work system for professional work applies, and working hours will be deemed as 7 hours and 45 minutes per day.
9. Days off, Leave
Saturdays, Sundays, Holidays, and the year-end and New Year holidays (December 29 to January 3)
Annual Paid Leave, Special Leave, etc.
10. Salary and Benefits
Annual Salary System will be applied, and monthly paid salary will be around JPY 350,000 to JPY 450,000, including performance/achievement allowance. (The salary will be decided by considering your qualifications, capacity, experience, etc.)
Commuting Allowance (up to JPY 55,000 per month) if the payment conditions are satisfied.
The successful applicants will be automatically enrolled in the insurance from the Mutual Aid Association of MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology) and Employment Insurance.
12. Qualification Requirements
A Ph.D. is required by the start of employment.
13. Application documents
(2) list of achievements (original papers, review articles, invited talks, etc.)
(3) reprints of three selected publications
(4) summary of the past research activities (about two pages long)
(5) research plan (about two pages long)
(6) names and contact information of two people who can provide reference letters
Combine all the documents into a single pdf file (within 10MB) and send it to Prof. Synge Todo, email@example.com. The subject should be “Application for project assistant professor position at Center of Innovation for Sustainable Quantum AI” or “Application for a project researcher position at Center of Innovation for Sustainable Quantum AI.” Please send an inquiry to the above address if you do not receive the confirmation email within a few business days after submission.
15. Application Deadline and Selection Process
Applications must arrive by February 15, 2023.
The successful candidate(s) will be selected by an interview after passing a pre-screening based on the application documents.
Prof. Synge Todo,
Department of Physics, The University of Tokyo,
17. Name of Recruiter
The University of Tokyo
18. State of working measures to avoid passive smoking
Smoking is prohibited inside the grounds of our university.
We have smoking areas outdoors.
* The University of Tokyo is committed to gender equality and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender.
* During the period of employment, sharing controlled technology with you may be prohibited by FEFTA, and it may become difficult to achieve your job as a faculty or a staff member of the University if you are under the control of a foreign government, corporation or university by contract, or under the control of a foreign government by economic interests. In such a case, you need to keep the contract or interests within the range that does not incur such restrictions.
* Personal information received through this application process will not be used for other purposes.